Criteria for appointment and renewal
DAS will maintain a Faculty of Professors who meet the following criteria. The mission of the Faculty is (a) to provide a facility to members and provide support (in terms of advice, collaboration or guidance) to their academic activities; (b) to provide support for the teaching and training goals of DAS; (c) to foster a network of academic and research activity, centred around DAS; (d) to represent DAS where academic or research representation or guidance is sought by other bodies.
Criteria for initial appointment
- DAS Faculty Professors are appointed for a 5-year term, which is renewable and all criteria must be met;
- Applicants must demonstrate a past appointment or election to a professorial level or title of any grade in any country and conferred through any organisation. Temporary of visiting affiliations will be included, where these involve a continuous period of work in the institution for at least one calendar year;
- At time of application a candidate must have a proven h-index of at least 10 (see: https://harzing.com/resources/publish-or-perish and Anaesthesia. 2011 Oct;66(10):861-4);
- At time of initial application a candidate must demonstrate at least one publication in a high impact factor journal within the last 2 years (with the relevant time point being November of the year of prospective election). By publication is meant an original research paper or review (including meta-analysis) or editorial. Case reports, case series, letters or abstracts do not count for this purpose. A high impact factor journal is meant a Pubmed cited journal with an impact factor 1.0 or greater, at time of application. In this regard it is understood that impact factors do vary, and this threshold is therefore indicative (with the final decision being that of DAS) rather than absolute. Papers in press or accepted for publication do not count towards this criterion;
- At time of application, the candidate must demonstrate evidence of continued employment (including honorary) with any organisation that includes academic or clinical activity or training as part of its mission.
Criteria for renewal
- Faculty Professorships need to be renewed at 5 year intervals from the date of appointment and at time of renewal all the following criteria must be met. Potential candidates who do not feel able comfortably to meet the renewal criteria are discouraged from making an initial application.
- At time of renewal, the applicants h-index must have increased from its value at date of first appointment or previous renewal (whichever is the more recent);
- At time of renewal, candidate must demonstrate at least one publication in a high impact factor journal within the last 5 years. By publication is meant an original research paper or review (including meta-analysis) or editorial. Case reports, case series, letters or abstracts do not count for this purpose. A high impact factor journal is meant an impact factor 1.0 or greater, at time of application. For purpose of renewal, papers in press or accepted for publication will count towards this criterion;
- At time of renewal, the candidate must demonstrate evidence of existing employment (including honorary) with any organisation that includes academic or clinical activity or training as part of its mission. The period of this employment (if fixed term) does not need to encompass the period of 5 year renewal.
- Whereas the above criteria determine eligibility for election to a DAS Faculty Professorship, election itself is contingent also upon the candidate supplying for upload to the DAS website
- A formal photo (headshot)
- A full academic CV (including full list of publications)
- A career summary or summary of research interests
- A link to other professional websites (where suitable)
- Where a DAS Faculty Professor retires from academic or clinical practice, they will be offered Emeritus status which will be listed accordingly on the DAS website. Emeritus Professors may if they wish maintain a full CV and personal details on the website.
- DAS Professors are automatically members of the Faculty for as long as they wish without need for renewal. DAS Faculty Professors are encouraged to apply for a DAS Professorship.
- The decision as to final election, and how the above criteria are applied in any given case, are at the discretion of the DAS committee.